New Town Prague

In 1348, Charles IV founded an entirely new town in Prague, the New Town, following the Old Town and Hradčany (Castle District)

The New Town is situated on the right bank of the Vltava River, occupying the area of 3,34 km2
(1.29 mile2). It sensitively neighbours the Old Town and connects two castles – the historical Vyšehrad and Prague Castle. Upon its foundation it included also several older settlements with their religious centres.

The New Town is located mainly within Prague 1 and 2 administrative districts; a small part lies in Prague 8 district. Within the New Town, there are numerous historical jewels, beautiful streets, well-known squares, river islands, theatres, monasteries, and other structures.

The best known sights:

  • Národní divadlo (National Theatre)
  • Národní muzeum (National Museum)
  • Novoměstská radnice (New Town City Hall)
  • Tančící dům (Dancing House)
  • Václavské náměstí (Wenceslas Square)
  • Vodičkova Street

And many more attractive sites

Another curiosity of the New Town is a group of five churches built by Charles IV symbolically in the pattern of a cross: with Church of the Assumption and of Charles the Great in Karlov, St. Catherine Church, Church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary.

 

Reservation
rooms in Prague



Choose hotel
Adults
Children
infants
special offer / rate code

Contact
& information