Vítkov Hill National Memorial

The dominant of the Prague district of Žižkov is unquestionably the National Memorial on Vítkov Hill, constructed between 1929 and 1938 in order to honour those who fought for the independent Czechoslovakia founded in 1918.

The Vítkov Hill National Memorial used to serve as a memorial to legionaries, Wehrmacht arms depot, and then a place promoting the Communist regime. Currently, it is a museum of modern history with the long-term multimedia exhibition called Crossroads of Czech and Czechoslovak Statehood.

The exhibition includes for example the final letters by Milada Horáková and Heliodor Píka (both executed by the Communist regime); personal belongings of Jan Palach; chessmen made from bread by Milan Šimečka in prison; or Pavel Tigrid’s typewriter.

The underground parts of the National Memorial hold the exposition called Laboratory of Power. These parts were built in the 1950s as a service area for personnel caring for the mummified body of the first Communist president Klement Gottwald.

The Vítkov Hill National Memorial is a remarkable structure also thanks to the bronze statue of Jan Žižka, considered to be the third largest equestrian statue in the world. It is 12 metres high, weighs 16.5 tons, and consists of 120 bronze sections and almost 5,000 bolts. It was unveiled on 14 July 1950, on the anniversary of the Battle of Vítkov Hill.

Vítkov Hill National Memorial

 

Reservation
rooms in Prague



Choose hotel
Adults
Children
infants
special offer / rate code

Contact
& information

+420 272 114 444